A future-oriented framework for regional climate monitoring is the focus of the joint research group (Climate Monitoring Branch) at the Meteorological Institute, University of Bonn (MIUB) and the Institute for Geophysics und Meteorology, University of Cologne (IGMK) within the Hans Ertel Centre for Weather Research (HErZ), funded by the Deutscher Wetterdienst (DWD).
Overall vision is to build up a research group, which focuses on the continuous development of a self‐consistent assessment and analysis of regional climate in Germany and Europe over the past decades at an appropriate spatial and temporal resolution. It encompasses the synergetic use of heterogeneous monitoring networks, including historical station data and satellite data, to construct state‐of‐the‐art regional reanalysis data sets for Germany and Europe and their evaluation.
This reanalysis provides a quality‐controlled and homogenised data set as a basis for the detection and assessment of regional climate change in past and future, the statistical post‐processing of operational forecasts, the analysis of systematic model errors of the respective regional model, and the verification and calibration of impact models like e.g. hydrological models.
Reanalysis data sets
In joint cooperation with DWD (German Meteorological Service), a high-resolution reanalysis system COSMO-REA6 based on the COSMO model has been developed. The regional reanalysis for Europe matches the domain of the CORDEX EURO-11 specifications, albeit at a higher spatial resolution, i.e., 0.055° (6 km) instead of 0.11° (12 km) and comprises the assimilation of observational data using the existing nudging scheme of COSMO complemented by a special soil moisture analysis with boundary conditions provided by ERA‐Interim data. The reanalysis data set currently covers the period 1995-2014.
A second reanalysis COSMO-REA2 at an even finer resolution of approximately 2 km including the assimilation of radar precipitation measurements has been produced. The domain includes Germany and the Alps. The data is currently available for the period 2007-2013.
- Bollmeyer et al. (2015): Towards a high-resolution regional reanalysis for the European CORDEX domain, Quart. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc., 141 (686), 1-15
- Simmer et al. (2016): HErZ - The German Hans-Ertel Centre for Weather Research, Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, doi:10.1175/BAMS-D-13-00227.1
- Wahl et al. (2017): A novel convective-scale regional reanalysis COSMO-REA2: Improving the representation of precipitation, Meteorologische Zeitschrift, doi: 10.1127/metz/2017/0824
- DMG-Kolloquium DWD Hamburg February 2016, Hamburg, Germany
- American Geophysical Union, Fall Meeting 2015, San Francisco, USA
- International Symposium on Data Assimilation 2014, February 2014, Munich, Germany
- Dies Academicus, University of Bonn, Germany (German)
- WCRP International Conference on Reanalysis, Greenbelt, Maryland, USA